Sunday 13 November 2016

Southgate's England deadline







Gareth Southgate has called on the Football Association to decide whether they want him to carry on as England boss within a month.
After Tuesday evening's friendly against Spain, Southgate's interim command will officially be over and discussions will begin over whether or not to hand him the reins on a permanent basis.
A steering committee of FA chairman Greg Clarke, technical director Dan Ashworth, chief executive Martin Glenn and League Managers' Association chairman Howard Wilkinson will be in charge of the decision.
Southgate appears to be the hot favourite, and tightened his grip on the job with a 3-0 win over Scotland on Friday night.
"It will be important for me to know what I'm doing after the middle of November," he said.
"We've got a European U21 Championship to prepare for and the seniors have got their next round of qualifiers (in March).
"Of course everybody is going to want to know, I guess, by the end of November, middle of December, where everything is heading so we can decide who is responsible for which parts of the organisation's work.
"That's not my decision in the end. I've enjoyed what I've done so far.
"I'm immensely proud to have led my country for three games, with another on Tuesday, and to be involved in an England-Scotland game, which is as high pressure as they come. It's been a brilliant experience and very, very special."

No comments:

Post a Comment